That little black dress is a classic; stylish and sophisticated. But nothing puts a damper on your body confidence faster than feeling uncomfortable about your arms––no matter how perfect they already are. Almost everyone has felt this way at one point or another, that’s why we know just what to do about it. Here’s how to get rid of arm fat in five easy exercises.
Combine, control, and build confidence
None of the below exercises will make you have the perfect arms on their own. Targeted exercises will help build, strengthen and tone your muscles, but losing fat in a particular area is impossible. Thankfully when you burn fat, you burn it all-over. That’s why the best way to shrink arm fat is a combination of these strength-building exercises and a good old-fashioned healthy diet.
Best ways to lose arm fat
Not just for the army; tough as they are, the classic push up is one of the best ways to eliminate arm fat. Pushups use resistance, aka your body’s own weight, to strengthen and build your muscles, especially your triceps.
How to do pushups:
- Take your mat and lie on it with your face down.
- Next, place your hands under your shoulders and push upwards; this is your pushup. Next lower yourself downward and repeat.
- Whether you chose the knees or plank variety, keeping your back straight and your arms stable is the key to a successful pushup.
One of the best endurance exercises to reduce arm fat. The plank builds stability, endurance and strength, and comes with a number of effective arm-building variations, so you’ll never be bored.
How to do a basic plank:
- Lie face down on your mat.
- Similar to a pushup, place your hands under your shoulders and push upwards.
- Instead of the upwards and downwards movements of the pushup, here you hold the pose for as long as you can. Focus on your core strength and your soon-to-be-toned arms.
3. Arm circles
A complete, allover arm strengthener; arm circles build your triceps, biceps, and shoulders. This is one simple, yet challenging, exercise that focuses on endurance.
How to do arm circles:
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart.
- Raise your arms in line with your shoulders and move them in small circles.
- Do this for as long as you can; endurance is the key to success. Then stretch and repeat.
4. Medicine ball lifts and Russian twists
Whereas our previous exercises have relied on the body alone, it’s now time to bring in some equipment; the medicine ball. This is a weighted ball that helps build your strength. There are lots of exercises you can do with one, but best start with a smaller weight.
First, the lifts.
- Take your medicine ball between your hands and lift it high above your head.
- Next bend your arms so that the ball, and lower arms, reach down your back.
- Raise it upwards again and repeat for as long as you can. This builds the muscles of your inner arms.
Second, we have the Russian twists; along with building your arms its a great core strengthener. Here’s how to go Russian with some twists:
- Sit on a mat with your knees bent upwards towards your chest.
- Lift your feet off the ground slightly, and try to hold that pose.
- Next, take your medicine ball and move it from one side to the other, touching the floor each time, on each side of your body.
5. Triceps dips
Get ready for true endurance. Triceps dips utilize the body’s own strength and build upon it to give your sexier looking arms. All you need for this exercise is a good, sturdy bench.
How to do triceps dips:
- Sit on the edge of a bench with your hand placed on it, at each side of your thighs.
- Next skooch forward and off the edge of the bench, lowering your body with your arms alone.
- Then raise your body upwards to the level of the bench, while avoiding using your legs to help the process. Repeat as many times as your arms can.
Be a Cardio Queen
Blast that cardio and burn arm fat! As we said before, strength-building exercises alone won’t lead to the arms you so desire. To get that toned look you see on celebs; you’re going to have to do a little cardio to burn some calories.
Our top cardio fat-burning favs are:
But the choice of which you will try is all yours. Our only advice? Decide on the cardio you like and stick to it.