Do you know that you consume 17 spoons of sugar every day, according to ODPHP (Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion) if you are an adult and live in the USA? You might argue: but I don’t consume that much! I don’t remember stuffing myself with sugar. And the truth is that you really don’t know. Most Americans consume tons of products like sauces, bread, juices, dairy products, canned foods, etc. Some of the sugars occur naturally, like in milk or fruit. But most products contain added sugars. So not a single meal, even breakfast goes without sugar!
Infomercials told you that the best way to start your day is to have a bowl of corn flakes or fruit loops for breakfast. Unfortunately, they are neither nutritious, not healthy.
Don’t worry, your sugarless breakfast can still be delicious and super fancy! We have a list of 6 Sugar-free Breakfast Ideas for you and your whole family (yep, even kids will like it).
1. Overnight almond oats
A lazy classic for those who are pressed for time in the morning (or simply want to spend a little bit more time in bed).
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1/2 cup almond or soy milk (sugar-free of course!)/Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp. crushed almond
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- Put oats in a mason jar/bowl.
- Pour milk or yogurt and cinnamon and almonds.
- Leave in fridge overnight before enjoying! You can heat it up a bit before serving.
2. Coconut oatmeal with bananas.
If you do have more time in the morning, here is another option.
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- 1 cup of oats
- ¼ cup of coconut flakes
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 banana
- Gently boil coconut milk before adding oats and cinnamon. Cook it for 10 minutes.
- Add flakes and cut banana to it.
3. Strawberry banana oatmeal muffins.
No sugar breakfast that is also child-friendly? Yes, it is real. They are naturally sweet from bananas and strawberries and still healthy. Isn’t it enjoyable to start a day thinking “I had muffins for breakfast!”.
- 1 egg
- 3 mashed bananas
- ¼ cup of any non-diary milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups oat flour ground from rolled oats
- ½ almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup chopped strawberries
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Grease the tin with coconut or olive oil and set aside.
- Mix together wet ingredients in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (minus the strawberries). Put dry and wet ingredients together and stir together. Add strawberries.
- Cut the dough into 12 muffins. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Cool it down. Done!
4. Perfect Green Smoothie
If you are not a morning person and any food tastes like paper here is some liquid goodiness to fuel yourself in a gulp.
- 2 cups spinach
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup cut mango
- 1 cup cut pineapple
- 2 bananas (chill them in the freezer beforehand!)
- Chia seeds
- A pinch of vanilla
Toss it in the blender and enjoy!
5. Tacos with zucchini and eggs
- 1 whole-grain tortilla
- 1 egg, scrambled with ½ zucchini
- Homemade salsa sauce
Top your taco with eggs and zucchini and salsa. Buen provecho!
- 1/2 cup Almond Milk/Coconut unsweetened
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Banana
- ½ cups of rolled oats
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla optional
- Whisk eggs and then blend all ingredients in a mixer.
- Fry on a pan with a bit of coconut or olive oil.
- Use berries, Greek yoghurt, and honey as a topping.