No need to hit the ground running. Sometimes the best way to lose weight and keep it off long-term is the slow and steady approach. After all, seeing exercise as a chore or simply boring is the best way to put yourself completely off. Motivation and dedication are the best tools you can get in your weight loss arsenal. So, if you have a high BMI and are looking to get motivated, get fit, and lose weight, this is where to kickstart your high BMI exercises journey.
Why exercise works?
Right now, you’re probably wondering, “why do I need to exercise with a high BMI anyway? Shouldn’t I diet first?” And it’s partly true. Diet does play a huge role in how much we weigh. Following a healthy diet, filled with delicious nutrients is important to getting your weight loss on track. But so too is exercise. By working out, you tone your muscles, making it easier for you to get moving. Not only that, but as you build muscle tone, you actually end up burning even more calories too. Other great benefits to exercise include a lower risk of heart disease, lower risk of diabetes, and other sedentary lifestyle issues as well. So, what better excuse could there be to get moving?
How much exercise do I need to do with a high BMI?
150 minutes a week (2.5h) or approximately 30 minutes a day, five days a week, of vigorous exercise. These are the latest recommendations by the American Heart Association on how much physical activity you need to keep healthy.
If you’re just starting out. This may seem like a lot and you may struggle to motivate yourself to get moving. That’s normal. But don’t give up. Instead, find a schedule and routine that works for you.
Simple and effective exercises for a high BMI
Losing weight with a high BMI can be hard enough without a complicated exercise routine. Instead, why not keep it simple (and achievable) with these effective and easy-to-start exercises for those with a high BMI.
- Brisk walking—There is nothing like the great outdoors and being able to take joy from walking is one of life’s little pleasures. So, as you lose weight, why not feast your eyes on all that nature has to offer. All you’ll need are some walking shoes.
- Cycle like you mean it—Stationary or regular cycling is a great workout, no matter what way you like to do it. So, now’s the best time to hop on the bike and get those legs moving
- Dance work out—No one said a workout had to be boring. Instead of slaving away at the gym, grab your phone, it plays on your favorite tracks and move your body to the beat.
- Resistance bands—This is not just another fitness trend. Resistance bands have long been used in improving the power of a workout. By the way, you can even check out some activities in our app.
- Water aerobics—There is no doubt that swimming is one of the best exercises out there. Not only does the water soothe our bodies, but it also increases the intensity of our workouts too. But the great thing is, you’ll have so much fun, you won’t even realize it.
- Modified push-ups—Building strength can be a challenge, and push-ups may seem impossible but they’re not! Set yourself a goal of one full push-up. But to get there, you’ll need to build your strength using modified push-ups. Use your knees for support as you work those arms.
Stretching and toning
- Leg-lifts—Leg lifts are great for working not only the leg muscles but those of the lower back too. By increasing your back support, you’ll find yourself more flexible and even energetic. This is perfect especially if you’re already experiencing any minor back pain.
- Bridge lifts—Those back and core muscles are vital. That’s why we’re throwing bridges into the mix. Lie on your back and raise your hips with your feet planted firmly on the ground. Hold for 5 and release. Do this a couple of times a day and you’ll soon say BYE to back pain.
- Squats—Want to burn calories, get toned thighs and a killer bottom? Say hello to squats. These muscle-building exercises will help you strengthen your core, burn up to 230 calories a session, and look great in those jeans.
Top weight loss tip No.3—Stick to it!
Losing weight isn’t as easy as one, two, three. And no wave of a wand will get you to your goal. But what will is YOU! Stick to your exercises and you will see results. We believe in you.
We believe in you!
If you have a high BMI, you may find exercising additionally challenging, and we feel you! But the benefits you will get back in return for your activity are so worth it. When the going gets tough, know that we believe in you.